Southwestern Chickpea Soup features saffron seasoned rice, cumin, turmeric and Hungarian paprika that enriches this hearty tomato-based stew with dehydrated chickpeas for quick cooking. Home cooks add Chorizo or hot Italian sausage for spicy heat and a delicious meal in 45 minutes.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, Mexican chorizo or andouille
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 oz.)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (For extra heat, use 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked or fresh chicken breast, cut up (6-8 oz.)
- In a 4-quart pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Remove sausage from casing or purchase fresh bulk sausage not in casing.
- Sauté sausage, breaking up clumps, until thoroughly browned.
- Stir in stew mix.Add broth, tomatoes and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread.