Little Italy Wedding Soup contains tiny meatballs made with our whole grains seasoning mix and ground turkey, a blend of Italian herbs and vegetables, and pastini make this favorite soup a treat for weddings or everyday meals.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped, optional
- 1 lb. Turkey Italian Sausage, about 4-5 links
- 2 Egg Whites, or 1 Egg, Beaten
- 10 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Head Escarole, Chopped, about 4 cups (may substitute 1 box frozen spinach, thawed & drained)
- Optional: Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Preparing the meatballs:
To form meatballs easily, keep a bowl of cold water nearby and dip fingers between rolling meatballs.
- Push the turkey sausage out of the casings into mixing bowl. Discard casings.
- Add contents of smaller packet of breadcrumb mixture and egg to the bowl with the turkey. Combine mixture well.
- Form small meatballs by hand, about 60. Set aside in refrigerator, or freezer, until ready to add to the soup.
Preparing the soup:
- In a 6 quart pot, heat oil over medium low heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, then add the contents of the larger vegetable seasoning packet. If omitting onion, add the contents of the larger vegetable seasoning packet to the oil, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add meatballs, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Uncover,bring soup to a boil. Stir in tiny pasta and escarole (or spinach).
- Return to a simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes. If soup is too thick, add 1-3 cups of water, as needed.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread for a fine family dinner.