A mixture of colorful beans seasoned with a hint of curry makes this heartwarming meal. Add gourmet chicken sausage and a diced apple, and welcome friends to the farmhouse for a casual weekend.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. chicken apple sausage or other specialty sausage, cut up
- 8 cups chicken broth (64 oz.)
- 1-2 firm apples, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 or 4 oz. fresh baby spinach (4 cups loosly packed)
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shiveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place beans in a bowl with 8 cups of water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight. For a quick soak, boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in 4-quart pot with 8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside until ready to use.
Preparing the soup:
- In a 4-quart pot, sauté sausage pieces in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in contents of soup mix vegetable packet.
- Add drained, cooked beans, chicken broth and apple pieces to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Just before serving stir in fresh spinach, cook uncovered for 5 minutes, and serve.